Are you a financial professional with a passion to create real social change that leads to stronger and healthier communities? Then join our United Way team in creating lasting change in west central Minnesota. The Director of Finance and Operations reports to the Executive Director to provide excellent stewardship of donor dollars with ultimate accountability and transparency.
Job Title: Director of Finance & Operations
Date: October 2017
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Education: Two year college degree in Accounting or related field preferred.
Job Related Experience: Three to five years of progressive financial experience.
Strategic planning ability and critical thinking skills. Financial analysis and forecasting. Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Financial Accounting Standards (FAS). Adept at managing the financial complexity of both unrestricted and restricted (designated) revenue streams. Excellent business-writing and communication skills. Ability to implement strategies to increase effectiveness of United Way funding pursuits. Ability to successfully organize and prioritize tasks to meet goals. Ability to solve problems and generate creative solutions. Ability to function independently within established guidelines. Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Basic Job Summary:
The Director of Finance and Operations will provide strategic leadership for United Way by serving as a member of the management team. The DFO is responsible for maintaining appropriate systems of financial policies, internal controls, and accounting standards. The DFO will direct the financial integrity of the organization by directing the performance of finance and payroll functions in accordance with Federal and State Regulations, GAAP, FAS, United Way Worldwide Standards and Board direction. Maintain the operational integrity of the organization by directing the administrative, telecommunications, and facilities management functions.
1. Direct the financial operations of the organization and related activities to ensure effective and efficient processes for all financial transactions within established internal controls and allow for timely and accurate financial reporting.
2. Maintain all financial records in accordance with GAAP, FAS and United Way Worldwide requirements. Perform all functions related to receivables, payables, general ledger and financial reporting.
3. Maintain our donor database software system to ensure financial integrity and accuracy of information transferred to accounting software and allow for accurate recording and payment of donor designations.
4. Responsible for preparation of payroll and administration of employee benefits in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws. Maintain payroll records and administer benefit programs including paid time off, medical, dental, life, disability and flexible benefits plans. Coordinate enrollments and terminations with employees and benefit providers.
5. In collaboration with Executive Director, coordinate facilities requirements. Plan, direct and manage general maintenance and building upkeep. Coordinate all ongoing facilities related projects.
6. Manage and direct technology and networking requirements for the office including management of vendor relationships for computer and phone systems and working with staff for effective use.
7. Provide direction, reports and support for the Board Treasurer, Board of Directors, Finance Committee and other United Way committees. Responsible for preparation of financial statements and reports for internal staff, the Finance Committee, Board of Directors and public.
8. As a member of the management team, work with other functional areas in compilation of annual corporate budget for Board review and vote. Track actual results against budget for performance measurement.
9. Prepare, facilitate and coordinate year-end financials and work papers for the annual audit.
10. Insure that all local, state, and federal reports conform to Section 501c3 of the IRS code. Assist with financial reports to United Way Worldwide and funding proposals as requested by the Executive Director.
11. Stay current and implement changes as required in accounting principles and standards. Insure proper controls in accounting using policies & procedures for the organization’s assets; insure segregation of duties for critical functions.
1. Participate in scheduled staff and board meetings, scheduled retreats and events.
2. Attend conferences as needed to enhance job-related skills.
3. Represent United Way at all times in a professional manner.
4. When requested, assist other United Way staff with their areas of responsibility.
5. Comply with all UW employee policies and procedures, as adopted by the Board of Directors.
6. Maintain an organized workspace and calendar.
7. Perform related work as required.
If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.